Why This Blog?

This Blog is dedicated to the true gospel of the Bible which is Jesus, crucified and risen from the dead to give men his life. This true gospel is the standard by which Calvinism is confronted.

Friday, July 3, 2015

Why Fight Calvinism?

Recently I received a compliment from a distant relative after posting an invitation to read this blog on Facebook.  The woman thanked me but also stated that "no one that I know cares about this stuff let alone writes about it."  The truth of her comment caused me to ponder as to why I confront Calvinism.  Is it true that no one really cares about Calvinism?  Does it matter if I make a stand against Calvinism?  Why fight Calvinism in the first place?                    

For some of us, Calvinism is an important matter whether we are for it or against it but the observation that most people could care less about it is probably true.  I acknowledge that for most people Calvinism is not on their radar.  This was true for me until around three years ago when Calvinism came crashing in to my world and then God rose me up to warn others about the dangers of it.

Some of us do care about the dangers of Calvinism because they are very real.  I have heard from others that like me oppose Calvinism and are voicing their concerns.  These folks have expressed gratitude for my boldness in taking on Calvinism as aggressively as I have.  They say that it strengthens their own resolve.  I think Calvinism may affect people like cancer does.  No, I am not saying anything weird like Calvinism is a killer or disease like cancer.  What I am saying is that most people don't notice cancer until it strikes someone close to them and then it is something that becomes important in their life and they make an effort to understand everything about it.

Most folks that are passionate about Calvinism have had it affect them or someone they know in a tangible way.  I have seen this happen multiple times in the last few years as I have seen several people get affected by Calvinism in some way.  I think a wary awareness of Calvinism or Reformed theology is on the rise today and I am encouraged by it.

I have also heard from Calvinists who find my tweets on Twitter.
Most of these folks use Twitter's search tool to find my tweets and then
reply to them with questions or pejorative comments.  Some of the comments say that my tweets are divisive.  They may be right in some respects but my intent is not to divide but to challenge and confront Calvinism.  I especially want to warn people so they at least take a good hard scriptural look at these doctrines before deciding how to respond to them.  I understand that a person will pay a price for standing up against something that seems dangerous or harmful but it still needs to be done.      

The Apostle Paul is a strong Biblical example of this.  He put into writing his criticism of doctrinal problems with others and it became scripture that we now read about thousands of years later.  Was Paul divisive for trying to maintain a true and pure doctrine?  Of course not.  Paul simply battled for the truth even named names of people he confronted for bad doctrine.  Paul records that he confronted Cephas (Peter) in Galatians 2:11 saying:
When Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face because he stood condemned.
Paul's comment is pretty strong language considering the man he confronted is thought by many to be the leader of the young Christian church at that time.  Paul wrote this statement to the Galatians because he was confronting them about running after another gospel and another Jesus.  Later Paul named names again when he wrote to Timothy:
Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly.  Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, who have departed from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some. 2 Timothy 2:16-18
Paul confronted Hymenaeus and Philetus because of their theological belief as these two men believed and taught that the resurrection had already taken place.  Paul concluded that the men were destroying the faith of some.  Was Paul being divisive?

The fact is that Paul believed in contending for the faith:                                  
Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God's holy people. Jude 1:3
Paul also told Timothy:
Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.  1 Timothy 4:16
My point is that Paul was neither divisive nor did he intend to be divisive.  Paul loved the body of Christ and was deeply grieved when folks "departed from the truth."  I am certainly no Paul but this is my heart too.  I love the truth and I am grieved when people I love and care for depart from the truth.  My heart has grieved deeply when I have seen friends whom I love and respect depart from the truth by adopting Calvinism.  My agenda is not to attack Calvinists as people or individuals.  I have no agenda to divide the body or to slander anyone.  My goal is simply to confront the doctrine of Calvinism because I am convinced that it is a dangerous departure from the truth.  My conviction is to contend for the faith that was entrusted to me as one of God's holy people.

A Reformed friend of mine asked me why I was not confronting other doctrines and teachers that were in his mind much worse than Calvinism.  That is a good question and I will answer that here. There are likely more but I am going to list (5) five reasons why I fight Calvinism and why everyone should care about the dangers that I share here.

#1: Calvinism is a Departure from the Truth

I believe that Calvinism is a departure from the truth.  Paul was concerned that some departed from the truth and we should share his concern.  I don't discuss the doctrines of Calvinism in this article because I address my concerns in other blog posts.  Suffice it to say that Calvinism is a clear departure from the truth.  Please read my other blogs on Calvinism.

#2: Calvinism Destroys the Faith of Some

The result of some departing from the truth and preaching another gospel is that it destroys the faith of some.  Bad doctrine yields bad fruit.  Ironically Calvinists would not like what Paul states about faith being destroyed since they don't believe the elect could ever have their faith destroyed. However, this passage is clear that Paul is concerned that someone's faith can be destroyed by bad doctrine.

The truth is that I have seen the faith of some damaged by Calvinism when they began to believe it.  I saw one man pull completely away from fellowship with other believers after reading Pink's book "Sovereignty of God".  Another man I know had one of the greatest hearts for the lost that I have ever seen and God used him as an evangelist.  He too read Pink's book and announced that he had changed his thinking completely.  It appears now that he no longer has a heart and passion for the lost.  His love for the lost was destroyed by departing from the truth by reading a book on Calvinism and accepting its conclusions.

There is substantial evidence that people change when they receive Calvinist teaching as true and turn from the sound doctrine found in scripture.

#3: Calvinism is pervasive and far too popular.

One of my greatest concerns is the following that Calvinism has today.  Led by a new dynamic group some refer to as the "New Calvinists", Calvinism under the name of the "Reformed" label has found a spark of popularity today.

A poll by George Barna in 2010 showed that 36% of American Christians identify as Calvinists. This pervasiveness then is why I believe God raised me up to confront Calvinism.  I know there is a lot of doctrinal garbage coming at the body of Christ today but some of it has little affect on people's lives and most of it does not resonate with people.  The threats even by cults like Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses do not concern me as much as Calvinism.  Why?  Because these groups have been clearly identified as not being in the "Christian" family of churches because much of what they teach and believe is not Biblical.  I know it happens but I have never known an authentic Christian who became a Mormon or Jehovah's witness.  I can't say the same about Calvinism as I have seen some friends get sucked into it.

Most people have a red flag go up when approached by someone about Mormon or
Jehovah's Witness theology.  My goal is to warn people so that they
will react in the same way when Calvinism is introduced to them as truth.      
                                                                            
#4: Calvinism misrepresents God.

This is a big one for me!  I am not going to spend a lot of time here but I spend a lot of time pointing this issue out on my tweets on Twitter and in other articles posted on this blog.  I am convinced that the great awesome God of love is being horribly misrepresented by Calvinism.  Frankly, I am not sure why more people are not upset about this too.

Calvinism makes God unfair by proclaiming that God predestined only some of be saved while also predestining some to be punished for eternity for no reason at all.  Even worse, many Calvinists teach that God actually created evil and even desires that men do evil so that God's purposes are fulfilled. This misrepresentation of God is a strong motivator for me and is a key as to why I confront Calvinism.

#5: There must arise a standard.

My goal is not just to make a lot of noise or to divide people or churches.  My intention is to assist somehow in raising awareness as to what Calvinism really teaches.  Many get sucked in to the Reformed movement but really don't know what Calvinism is really about.  I want to raise a standard against this dangerous theology. I want to make a difference and I want to provide support and encouragement for those who oppose Calvinism like I do.

Three years ago I did a search in Google on Calvinism and what I found was disconcerting.  Most websites at that time supported Calvinism and there seemed to be little opposition.   Recently my Google searches reveal that this has changed dramatically.  There seems to be at least as many sites and blogs challenging Calvinism as there are supporting it.  I think that the New Calvinists have had their day in the sun and the pendulum is now swinging back.  Faithful men and women are now rising up and speaking about their concerns with Calvinism.

More people every day are recognizing Calvinism when they hear it and they understand it for what it is.  The backlash is rising and it is beginning to have some real effect.  I am committed to confront Calvinism as long as the Holy Spirit moves me to do so.  I invite others who have Paul's jealous heart for the saints to join me and others in contending for the faith that has been entrusted to us.

Frankly, I would rather write about the great glorious truths in scripture and not worry about Calvinism but the Holy Spirit has called me to contend with Calvinism and so I must lay down my own desires and obey him.

We all need to warn our friends and family before they are approached about Calvinism.  If they have not been exposed to Calvinism then we should give them a quick overview of Calvinism and why it is dangerous. You can also point them to my blog or some the other good blogs online.  There are also some excellent YouTube videos that expose Calvinism.  For those who want a very comprehensive understanding,  I recommend Dave Hunt's book entitled: "What Love is This?".

If you don't know your pastor's stance on Reformed theology, I recommend you simply ask him what he believes about it.  Then suggest that your pastor speak out about Calvinism or bring in someone like me to teach on its dangers.

Let me be clear.  Our standing against Calvinism does not mean we hate or despise Calvinists.  We can love the Calvinist but loathe these doctrines.  Many Calvinists are likely saved too because they are saved just like any other born-again Christian and that is by having faith in Jesus.

Why should good believers rise up against Calvinism?  They should because they love God and they love the true gospel of Christ.  They should rise up because they love the lost and the Good Shepherd who left heaven to die for them.

Let us not shrink back in the face of Calvinism for any reason even if it leads to persecution.  Paul suffered most of his persecution from others who called themselves Christians, especially the Judaizers.  The Judaizers were Christians who insisted that believers must conform to Old Covenant laws.  They were ruthless in their persecution and confronted Paul in every city that he visited.  They were instrumental in having Paul beaten, whipped, stoned and imprisoned.  Let us not be afraid of anyone who might get angry with us because we stand against the doctrines of Calvinism.

What I desire most is the opportunity to share the true glorious gospel that Christ has given the whole world and I pray that this will be in the hearts of all true believers.  We are not ashamed of the real gospel and therefore we will defend it and proclaim it when given opportunity.

Let's rise up, take a stand against Calvinism and proclaim the true gospel which is truly the GOOD NEWS!

Darrell Brantingham                                                                         

(Check out my pithy tweets on Twitter at @confrontcalvin)







No comments:

Post a Comment